|Season Two, Episode 1-22|
|First Aired||September 25, 2013|
Season Two of Nashville premiered on ABC on September 25, 2013 and concluded, officially, on May 14, 2014. The season focuses on the aftermath of Rayna and Deacon's car crash. Having learned the truth about her paternity, Maddie wants to get to know Deacon better. The marriage between Teddy and Peggy goes ahead, but the latter fakes a miscarriage in order to prevent Teddy from discovering that she lost the baby earlier. Tandy discovers that Lamar may have been responsible for her mother's death.
Meanwhile, Rayna is determined to buy herself out of her Edgehill contract. Juliette encounters an English billionaire who becomes smitten with her, which leads to a hostile reception from the press. A talent show runner-up arrives in Nashville and immediately comes to blows with Juliette. Scarlett becomes smitten with Liam McGuinnis when Rayna asks him to help produce Scarlett's new album. The return of her mother unleashes memories of her childhood.
- Connie Britton as Rayna Jaymes (22/22)
- Hayden Panettiere as Juliette Barnes (22/22)
- Clare Bowen as Scarlett O'Connor (22/22)
- Eric Close as Teddy Conrad (21/22)
- Charles Esten as Deacon Claybourne (22/22)
- Jonathan Jackson as Avery Barkley (22/22)
- Sam Palladio as Gunnar Scott (22/22)
- Chris Carmack as Will Lexington (21/22)
- Lennon Stella as Maddie Conrad (14/22)
- Maisy Stella as Daphne Conrad (14/22)
- Ed Amatrudo as Glenn Goodman (21/22)
- Chaley Rose as Zoey Dalton (16/22)
- Judith Hoag as Tandy Hampton (16/22)
- Aubrey Peeples as Layla Grant (16/22)
- Kimberly Williams-Paisley as Margaret "Peggy" Kenter (7/22)
- Oliver Hudson as Jeff Fordham (14/22)
- Charlie Bewley as Charles Wentworth (7/22)
- David Alford as Bucky Dawes (15/22)
- Powers Boothe as Lamar Wyatt (5/22)
- Christina Chang as Megan Vannoy (13/22)
- Will Chase as Luke Wheeler (13/22)
- Dana Wheeler-Nicholson as Beverly O'Connor (2/22)
- Michael Rose as Justin Ramer (3/22)
- Robert Ray Wisdom as Coleman Carlisle (1/22)
- Michiel Huisman as Liam McGuinnis (5/22)
- Conan O'Brien as Himself (1/22)
- Nick Gomez as Santiago (1/22)
- Wilbur Fitzgerald as Bill Walters (1/22)
- James DuMont as Bobby Delmont (1/22)
|Image||Title||Original Airdate|| U.S. Viewers|
|1. "I Fall to Pieces"||September 25, 2013||6.50|
Plot: After the crash, Rayna is in a coma and Deacon is left to wait on his pending jail sentence. Teddy is still shell-shocked about Peggy's pregnancy and struggles to understand where he belongs... Is it by Rayna's side with his daughters? Meanwhile, Maddie grapples with the revelation that Deacon is her father and, feeling alone, turns to Juliette, unwittingly revealing the details of what happened before the traumatic crash. And Gunnar and Scarlett's relationship becomes even more complicated after the proposal, so they turn to their friends, Will and Zoey, for support.
|2. "Never No More"||October 2, 2013||5.98|
Plot: Edgehill has appointed a new chief, Jeff Fordham. He's powerful, sexy and on a mission to place the label back on top. That means it's time to reveal his vision for the future. The question is - who will be part of it? Rayna has returned from her hiatus and the plan includes her own label, with Will and Scarlett attached. Though Jeff seems supportive, he has a different agenda. Juliette meets with the chief to discuss her new mature sound and look. She details her passion to grow and her natural desire to be taken more seriously as an artist. Jeff could care less. In the meantime, a reality show vixen is the talk of the town and posing a new threat to Juliette's career.
|3. "I Don't Wanna Talk About It Now"||October 9, 2013||5.84|
Plot: Rayna's divorce from Teddy is final as each embarks on a new path that brings them back to some familiar territory. Liam returns to help Rayna complete her album, and Peggy engages in a plan to win Teddy back. Juliette takes a high-paying private gig at a billionaire couple's anniversary party, but she soon discovers her host is interested in more than just her musical abilities. Deacon's troubled past with his own father casts a shadow over his impending relationship with Maddie, and Will and Scarlett undergo makeovers for the Stockholders Showcase.
|4. "You're No Angel Yourself"||October 16, 2013||5.76|
Plot: Rayna leaves Juliette in a lurch when she decides she needs to cancel the remainder of the tour. Teddy proposes to Peggy and asks her to be discreet around the girls, but when Maddie sees her grandmother's ring hanging from Peggy's neck, the charade is up. She is confused and hurt and finds herself turning to an unlikely friend. Tandy uncovers more troubling information about Rayna and her mother's death, but her attempt to share the discovery with Rayna is hijacked by Maddie's reaction to Teddy and Peggy's engagement. Deacon discovers that he has more in common with Megan than just his case.
|5. "Don't Open That Door"||October 23, 2013||5.46|
Plot: In advance of a benefit concert starring all of Edgehill's best acts, label head Jeff Fordham (Oliver Hudson) demands that his new artists sell themselves as hot, sexy personas - which is a major struggle for Scarlett, and Layla knows it. Since Rayna is unsure about her future as a singer, she plots to buy out Edgehill's rights to her music, and Gunnar and Avery decide to record new songs with Zoey, Scarlett's best friend. However, by the end of the concert night, nothing will be the same.
|6. "It Must Be You"||October 30, 2013||5.25|
Plot: Rayna sets the record straight on all things personal and professional in a candid interview with ABC News' Robin Roberts. Determined to be her own boss, Rayna attends the Belle Meade Polo Match to seek out investors for her own label, Highway 65, but is surprised by the reaction from Nashville's elite. Meanwhile, Juliette, who is also at the event, runs into Charlie Wentworth, and Luke Wheeler and Deacon have an awkward encounter. With her life about to change dramatically, Scarlett leans on Avery for advice, and Teddy announces to the press that he and Peggy are getting married.
|7. "She's Got You"||November 13, 2013||5.52|
Plot: As Teddy's wedding day nears, Maddie feels lost and tells Rayna she wants to get to know Deacon better, forcing Rayna to confront Deacon about stepping up to co-parent. Luke Wheeler commiserates with Rayna about the challenges of exes and parenting. While on tour in Texas, Juliette angers a lecherous but very influential radio DJ who starts promoting Layla at Juliette's expense. Deacon tries to find his way back to music and discovers an unexpected ally in Avery. While on a date with Layla, Will runs into Brent on a date with a new man, and Gunnar finds himself in a power position in his singing and songwriting.
|8. "Hanky Panky Woman"||November 20, 2013||5.75|
Plot: Rayna joins Scarlett on the road for her first tour date with Luke Wheeler and is blindsided when Deacon confronts her about putting too much pressure on Scarlett too soon. Jeff goes to war against Rayna on control of the album she produced with Liam, and Juliette makes a decision about Charlie Wentworth. Gunnar struggles to write a song for a major artist, and gets help from Scarlett, sparking an idea for Rayna that could potentially be liberating for her and life-changing for Gunnar.
|9. "I'm Tired of Pretending"||December 4, 2013||5.70|
Plot: Maddie wants to spend more time with Deacon and Teddy begins to feel like he's being replaced. Rayna is struggling to strike the right balance with the two dads and their fatherhood responsibilities. Meanwhile, Lamar makes a plea to Rayna to secure Tandy's support as a character witness. Charlie has declared his love for Juliette but she couldn't be more distracted by the fact that Layla's career is stealing some of her spotlight. Zoey and Avery make plans to visit Scarlett on the road in an effort to boost her spirits, though that feeling may be short-lived.
|10. "Tomorrow Never Comes"||December 11, 2013||5.18|
Plot: Juliette is the main act at Teddy's first annual Music City Festival, but the blowback by the fans and press over the Wentworths throws her for a loop and drags down the event. She demands that Glenn find out who leaked career-killing gossip to the tabloids so she can get ahead of the bad press by calling them out. Rayna is determined to buy herself out of her Edgehill contract once and for all, even though Tandy and Luke counsel otherwise. Should she risk all her assets on Highway 65? Deacon and Gunnar find themselves marginalized at the Festival and team up to to put on an unauthorized show, and Scarlett is freezing out Zoey and Gunnar but drawing closer to Avery. However, by evening's end, someone will be gone forever.
|11. "I'll Keep Climbing"||January 15, 2014||5.10|
Plot: Peggy is revealed to have been killed by a disgruntled unemployed man, whose intended target was Teddy. Will is nowhere to be found, which concerns Brent and Layla, but Gunnar eventually locates him in the woods nearby. He tells Will to pull himself together, and that he's there for him if he needs a chat. Kelly Clarkson wishes to record a song that Gunnar and Scarlett wrote, but Scarlett bottles during their meeting. Juliette's reputation takes another blow as creative video editing shows her proclaiming there is no God, so she turns to Layla to help clear her name. Rayna's bought herself out of Edgehill, but the pressure to succeed is greater than ever. Deacon struggles to write during his sobriety and finds help from Maddie and Daphne.
|12. "Just for What I Am"||January 22, 2014||5.03|
Plot: Scarlett sings ‘Free’ in concert with Zac Brown, but the demands of fame are burning her out. Rayna asks Deacon to help write a much-needed hit for her new album, and it's like old times. At Edgehill's #1s party, Scarlett gives Gunnar the cold shoulder and later tells Rayna how Deacon will follow her every command, so Rayna and Deacon agree to cool off their contact for the time being. Concert venues are dropping from Juliette's tour and Jeff is furious, so he tells Juliette to apologize for her blasphemous comment or she'll be dropped. After failing to get a response to his phone calls, Avery calls to see Juliette to find her passed out on her bed. He tries to cheer her up by taking her busking, and it seems to work as she later requests that they write a song together. Zoey is bruised by Gunnar's inattention when he gets an invitation to co-write from Jay DeMarcus of Rascal Flatts. Teddy discovers that the man who killed Peggy was a former employee of a subsidiary of Wyatt Industries, and believes Lamar had something to do with her murder. Rayna and Luke decide to make their relationship official.
|13. "It's All Wrong, But It's All Right"||January 29, 2014||5.28|
Plot: Jeff expects Juliette to formally apologize for her behavior during her Grand Ole Opry ceremony, but when she takes to the stage she ignores the teleprompter and performs "Don't Put Dirt on My Grave Just Yet", which angers him so he tells her she's no longer part of Edgehill. Luke introduces Rayna to a power player that could help her get her distribution deal off the ground, and then surprises her with a NASCAR wrapped in Rayna Jaymes' graphics. However, she soon discovers that the distribution deal means that Juliette will no longer have a place on his shelves. Deacon discovers his record deal might not be what he expected and Scarlett's collaboration with Liam gets off to a rocky start, but she finally finds her creative side with the help of some prescription drugs. Layla decides to seek help with songwriting from Gunnar, but he ends up upsetting her, leading to a confrontation with Will, in which he advises Will to tell Layla the truth. Will and Layla discover they aren't all that different and find comfort in one another's company. Teddy will stop at nothing to reveal Lamar's connection to Peggy's death. Tandy is arrested for failing to testify at Lamar's hearing, but Teddy is not pleased when a news report announces that he is set to be released from prison.
|14. "Too Far Gone"||February 5, 2014||5.16|
Plot: Lamar arrives home from prison but gets the cold shoulder from Tandy. Teddy tells Rayna that Lamar was responsible for Peggy's death, and Tandy confesses that he was responsible for their mother's death. Rayna confronts him to demand the truth, and he reveals that her mother was having an affair with Watty and lost control of her car when she tried to leave. Rayna tells him he will never see Maddie and Daphne again. Meanwhile, having spent the night together, Juliette hides out at Avery's apartment but he tells her she will have to face the world sometime. Deacon finds out that Teddy is one of Megan's clients and feels she's only with him as she feels sorry for him. Will is not satisfied with the demos given to him and asks Jeff to sack Brent. Zoey is turned down for an audition, but refuses to give up and returns later with a demo. Scarlett's change in mood seems to baffle everyone. Deacon performs at the Bluebird and tells Avery and Juliette they look good together. Lamar confronts Teddy and suffers a fatal heart attack, as Teddy looks on.
|15. "They Don't Make 'Em Like My Daddy Anymore"||February 26, 2014||4.77|
Plot: Liam and Scarlett play 'Black Roses' for Rayna, and she loves it. She receives numerous phone calls from Teddy but they go unanswered. Teddy visits Rayna to tell her that Lamar passed away, and Maddie and Daphne are devastated. Maddie contacts Deacon, and he visits Rayna who reassures him she's fine. Teddy holds a press conference to announce Lamar's death, but later reveals to Megan that he did nothing to help while Lamar had his heart attack. Avery plays his tweaked version of "Don't Put Dirt on My Grave Just Yet" for Juliette, and shows her a positive review from the 'New Yorker'. The song catches the ear of high-powered, hit-making producer, Howie V, and her brings her to LA to record it with a live orchestra and do a photoshoot with 'Rolling Stone' magazine. However, Glenn feels sidelined and decides to return to Nashville. Deacon asks Avery, Gunnar and Zoey to be his backup at a gig, which proves to be a success. After performing with him at the Bluebird, Avery, Gunnar and Zoey decide to form a trio. Scarlett feels alone and shares a kiss with Liam. Juliette tells Glenn that she doesn't want to move away from being a country singer, and can't do it without him. Following Lamar's memorial service, Rayna finally comes to terms with everything that's happened and breaks down, as Tandy and Teddy look on.
|16. "Guilty Street"||March 5, 2014||5.09|
Plot: After performing 'Don't Put Dirt on My Grave Just Yet', major pop labels are vying to sign Juliette, overwhelming Avery They go to a fancy restaurant to celebrate and receive an expensive bottle of champagne from Jeff. Juliette storms over to his table and slams the bottle down, telling him where to go. However, he offers her a new deal with Edgehill with Avery as her writer, but after much deliberation she turns it down. Rayna discovers Tandy’s been bouncing checks for 'Highway 65', which affects Rayna’s ability to sign new artists. Will tries to boost Layla's career but only makes matters worse between him and Jeff. Deacon runs into an old friend, Ruth Bennett at an AA meeting, but rejects her advances as he's with Megan. While clearing out Peggy's belongings, Teddy discovers medication that she took for her miscarriage, and confesses to Megan that he thought he knew Peggy but was wrong. They end up sleeping together. Rayna catches Scarlett and Liam together and advises him to end their relationship, so he tells her he's leaving for Tokyo. Tensions between Gunnar and Avery arise ahead of their first gig with Zoey. Juliette asks Rayna if she will sign her to 'Highway 65' as a means of resurrecting her career and Rayna agrees.
|17. "We've Got Things to Do"||March 12, 2014||5.07|
Plot: As she prepares to join 'Highway 65', Juliette tells Rayna that she wants to release 'Don't Put Dirt on My Grave Just Yet' as a digital download, but Rayna has other ideas. Will learns that Juliette is dropping him from her tour, and also discovers that Brent is now Layla's manager. Scarlett tells Rayna that she wants Avery to produce her new album, which causes tension between him and Juliette. At the 'Highway 65' label party, Juliette starts to feel that she is being upstaged by Rayna’s up-and-coming talent, and sabotages the event by taking to the stage to announce that she is now on the label. Luke offers Deacon a supporting slot on his upcoming tour alongside Will. However, Deacon is more concerned with Megan's behavior and she tells Teddy to leave her alone. Meanwhile, Maddie becomes fixated on her music, ignoring her studies, and when she tells Teddy she wants to live with Deacon he grounds her. Layla believes Will is not reciprocating her feelings, but he ends up proposing to her and she says 'yes'. Gunnar feels like he is the only one truly interested in the band, and Zoey is turned down as a backup singer.
|18. "Your Wild Life's Gonna Get You Down"||March 26, 2014||5.19|
Plot: Rayna plays a mini-set on Luke's tour, and her girls meet his teenage son, Colt, who has a big social media following. They find they don't share musical tastes but Colt is impressed when they do a duet and records a video. However, Luke orders him to take the video off his website. Rayna discovers Maddie's video and tells her to take it down as she only wants to protect her. Teddy forbids Maddie from attending Deacon's concert and later comes to blows with Deacon when Deacon discovers the truth about him and Megan. He then breaks up with her. Juliette is angered when Avery misses her set as he's busy helping Scarlett and takes it out on her. While they attend the after show party, she becomes suspicious of Scarlett's behavior, saying it's similar to how her mother was. Jeff questions Will about why he's marrying Layla and later asks Gunnar if Will is gay. Will and Layla decide to have a shotgun wedding and it goes ahead without a hitch, in spite of Gunnar's refusal to be his best man. Luke discovers that Deacon is Maddie's biological father, but tells Rayna he will support her.
|19. "Crazy"||April 2, 2014||5.18|
Plot: Maddie's news goes viral and stirs a media frenzy including being a "Hot Topic" on 'The View'. Luke thinks a friend of Colt's may have put the video online. When the press show up outside Deacon's house, Rayna gets worried he has returned to his old ways as he isn't returning her calls. She and Luke locate him at the house that she and Deacon had bought before she discovered she was pregnant with Maddie. Deacon refuses to have anything to do with Teddy since he slept with Megan, but Rayna tries to manage the fallout by going on 'Good Morning America' where Deacon admits that she and Teddy have done a good job raising Maddie. Gunnar is shocked when he receives a large royalty check and wants to treat Zoey, so he arranges a recording session. A gig promoter phones but only wants to see Gunnar if he gets the band back together. When Juliette faces more empty seats on her tour, she reaches out to Charlie Wentworth for a favor, but he sees it as a means of getting back with her, so Avery tells him to back off. Scarlett's mother, Beverly, surprises her daughter in San Francisco. However, she soon shows her true colors, becoming abusive after Scarlett sings 'Black Roses' to her, and things take their toll when Scarlett has a meltdown on stage.
|20. "Your Good Girl's Gonna Go Bad"||April 30, 2014||4.62|
Plot: After Scarlett's meltdown on stage, Avery comes to the rescue. Juliette says to get the jet ready to fly Scarlett back home so the media won't find out or show up. The next day in Nashville Rayna, Deacon and Bucky are all waiting for the at the airport. Even though Rayna is not blaming Juliette, Rayna says that it wasn't the best idea to send Scarlett on tour with Juliette. When the plane arrives they check on Scarlett and send her to a clinic to help get everything out of her system. While Gunnar shows Zoey the house that he bought Avery calls Zoey to tell her about Scarlett. At Will's rehearsal Layla shows up with a reality TV producer saying that they should do a reality TV together. Later on Gunnar meets with Jeff who is starting a publishing division at the label and offers him to come to the company. Gunnar tells Jeff that word around town is that Edgehill is struggling after losing Rayna and Juliette. Jeff tells him that he'll have access to even more royalties and not to blow more opportunities with A-list talent like Kelly Clarkson. Gunnar replies that he wasn't the one who blew it, Not liking Jeff calling Scarlett crazy, Gunnar defends her and walks off. Scarlett comes to the decision that she doesn't want this and Rayna says that she will release her from her contract. That night at the BMI party Gunnar catches Jeff and Juliette emerging from their hookup.
|21. "All or Nothing with Me"||May 7, 2014||4.70|
Plot: While Rayna is in a meeting with broadcasters Bucky interrupts and informs her that Luke, who is in Afghanistan, was injured when the convoy he was in was hit by an IED. Rayna flies to New York so she can be there for him when he arrives. Luke is beating himself up that he wasn't able to to give the troops a show because of the accident so Rayna suggests that they should do a show live from Fort Campbell and simulcast it to all of the troops. Meanwhile Juliette feels guilty for sleeping with Jeff, Deacon and Maddie spend time together, and production starts on Will and Layla's reality show which Gunnar refuses to be apart of. Avery apologizes to Juliette for being focused on Scarlett's recovery and reassures her that she is the one who he loves. When Luke hears that Juliette will be performing at the show he is not happy. Juliette hears him say this to Rayna and says that she will not sing though it won't stop her from meeting the troops. Luke overhears her saying to a soldier that she is there because her father was a Blackhawk pilot who died when she was four and asks her to sing. The two end up singing together. The show starts by First Lady Michelle Obama thanking the troops via satellite and Kellie Pickler also performs. Deacon asks Teddy to tell him what Maddie's birth was like and Rayna and Deacon join Maddie and Daphne onstage to perform.
|22. "On the Other Hand"||May 14, 2014||5.24|
Plot: Before Rayna heads out to New York to do her album promo on GMA Bucky informs that she has been bumped for Will who is also releasing an album the same day as her thanks to Jeff. Desperately needing her album and label to be successful, Teddy is able to book 'LP Field' for her to do a show. Juliette comes to Rayna asking out of her contract saying it was a mistake signing with her but Rayna tells her no and that she will performing at the show at LP too. Deacon puts on a show for the Sober House and Maddie wants her mom to sign her. Afraid that Jeff will be the one telling Avery that he and Juliette slept together, Zoey and Gunnar are the ones after Avery senses something going on with them. Avery goes to break up with her and Juliette pleads him to not to. When Rayna and Luke get done singing "Ball and Chain", Luke asks Rayna to marry him, she accepts. Scarlett says goodbye to Gunnar before leaving town but he tells her not to. Will comes home and rips all the cameras off the wall so he can tell Layla that he is gay, unaware a hidden camera in the clock has captured the confession. Deacon goes to see Rayna and tells her not to marry Luke because he knows how to love her now, gives her a ring and kisses her before leaving.
These were the main events during Season 2:
- In the aftermath of the car crash, Rayna was admitted to hospital in a medically induced coma. Feeling guilty, Deacon admitted he was driving the car and was imprisoned. Rayna awoke and admitted she was the driver, leading to Deacon's release.
- Peggy miscarried the baby, but didn't tell Teddy the truth as she feared she would loose him.
- Maddie was still unsure how to treat Deacon after the revelation of him being her biological father.
- Scarlett rejected Gunnar's proposal and moved out. Will moved in as Gunnar's roommate.
- Rayna and Juliette met the new CEO of Edgehill, Jeff Fordham, who was all about numbers.
- He signed Will to his label, much to Rayna's dismay.
- Scarlett quit her job at 'The Bluebird Cafe' to start her music career. She soon felt uncomfortable with her lifestyle change.
- A former talent show contestant named Layla Grant arrived in Nashville, making Juliette jealous.
- Will's ex-boyfriend Brent started working for Jeff.
- A charming millionaire called Charles Wentworth made his move on Juliette, but she didn't want to break up his marriage.
- Peggy faked a miscarriage using pork blood, admitting to Teddy that she had loss the baby.
- Lamar was sent to prison for embezzling money.
- Will and Layla started dating as a publicity stunt.
- Scarlett and Avery got back together.
- Maddie wanted to get to know Deacon better so they started guitar lessons, which made Teddy jealous.
- Layla informed the press that Juliette was the cause of the Wentworths' marriage break-up.
- Gunnar and Zoey started dating in secret, but Scarlett eventually caught them together.
- Tandy failed to show up at Lamar's hearing and he was denied bail.
- Rayna tried to buy herself out of her Edgehill contract.
- The media hounded Juliette at Teddy's first Music City Music Festival.
- Deacon and Gunnar played an unauthorized show at the festival, much to Teddy's disgust.
- Confused over his feelings for Brent, Will slept with him and later stepped into the path of an oncoming train.
- An assassination attempt was made on Teddy, but Peggy ended up in the crossfire.
- Peggy was revealed to have been killed by a disgruntled unemployed man, whose intended target was Teddy.
- The backlash against Juliette increased when a creatively altered video surfaced online of her declaring there was no God. The public retaliated by staging a mass burning of her CDs and posters.
- Will survived his encounter with the train but was disgusted with himself. Gunnar found him in the woods and told him to contact him any time he felt useless.
- Jeff told Juliette to apologize for her blasphemous slur and said that if she refused, he would drop her from Edgehill. She buckled under the pressure and was found passed out on her bed by Avery.
- Avery decided to cheer Juliette by taking her busking. It proved a success and Juliet decided to write a song with him.
- Teddy discovered that Peggy's assassin was a former employee of a subsidary of Wyatt Industries and started to think that Lamar had ordered the killing.
- Rayna and Luke decided to make their relationship official.
- Juliette took to the stage at the Grand Ole Opry but rather than using the telepromter to issue her apology, she did so by singing a new song, "Don't Put Dirt on My Grave Just Yet". As a result, Jeff told her she was officially dropped from Edgehill.
- Rayna was offered a distibution deal but later realized it would mean that Juliette no longer had shelf space.
- Scarlett started working on songs with Liam McGuinnis but ended up exhausted, so he gave her some prescription drugs to help her.
- Juliette confessed her love for Avery and the two slept together.
- Tandy was arrested for failing to testify at Lamar's trial and ordered that he should be released, much to Teddy's dismay.
- Lamar was released from prison but Tandy gave him the cold shoulder. Teddy informed Rayna that Lamar had something to do with Peggy's murder and Tandy confessed that he was responsible for their mother's death. Rayna later confronted Lamar and told him he would never see Maddie and Daphne again.
- Juliette hid at Avery's apartment and the two of them were almost caught by Deacon. Avery later told her that she couldn't remain invincible forever.
- Scarlett's change of mood confused everyone but she insisted she was fine.
- Will asked Jeff to talk to Brent and the latter was fired.
- Deacon performed a set at the Bluebird to promote his new EP and told Avery and Juliette that they looked good together.
- Lamar confronted Teddy and suffered a fatal heart attack but Teddy did nothing to help him.
- Teddy contacts Rayna to tell her Lamar suffered a fatal heart attack and later admits to Rayna that he did nothing to help him. She later breaks down after his funeral.
- Scarlett found herself attracted to Liam and shared a kiss with him.
- Avery played his tweaked version of 'Don't Put Dirt on My Grave Just Yet' for Juliette, which she loved, and it soon attracted the attention of LA music producer Howie V. She flew to LA to record the song with a live orchestra and do a photoshoot, but Glenn felt sidelined. She later admitted that she didn't want to be this kind of person.
- Deacon asked Avery, Gunnar and Zoey to be his backup for a gig at the Bluebird and it proved a success so they decided to become a trio.
- Major labels fought to sign Juliette and she went to out to a restaurant to celebrate with Avery. While there she received an expensive bottle of champagne from Jeff Fordham in an attempt to get her back to Edgehill but she refuses. However, he told Avery there's a publishing deal in it for him as well.
- Rayna discovered Tandy’s been bouncing checks for 'Highway 65', which affected Rayna’s ability to sign new artists.
- Will tried to boost Layla's career but only made matters worse between him and Jeff.
- Deacon ran into an old friend, Ruth Bennett at an AA meeting, but rejected her advances as he was with Megan.
- While clearing out Peggy's belongings, Teddy discovered medication that she took for her miscarriage, and confessed to Megan that he thought he knew Peggy but was wrong. They ended up sleeping together.
- Rayna caught Scarlett and Liam together and advised him to end their relationship, so he told her he's leaving for Tokyo.
- Juliette asked Rayna if she would sign her to 'Highway 65' as a means of resurrecting her career and Rayna agreed.
- Will learned that Juliette was dropping him from her tour, and also discovered that Brent was Layla's new manager.
- Scarlett told Rayna that she wanted Avery to produce her new album, which caused tension between him and Juliette.
- At the 'Highway 65' label party, Juliette started to feel that she was being upstaged by Rayna’s up-and-coming talent, and sabotaged the event by taking to the stage to announce that she was now on the label.
- Luke offered Deacon a supporting slot on his upcoming tour alongside Will.
- Maddie became fixated on her music, ignoring her studies, and when she told Teddy she wanted to live with Deacon he grounded her.
- Layla believed Will was not reciprocating her feelings, but he ended up proposing to her and she said 'yes'.
- Rayna played a mini-set on Luke's tour, and her girls met his teenage son, Colt, who has a big social media following. Colt was impressed when they did a duet and recorded a video. However, Luke ordered him to take the video off his website. Rayna discovered Maddie's video and told her to take it down as she only wants to protect her.
- Teddy forbade Maddie from attending Deacon's concert and later came to blows with Deacon when Deacon discovered the truth about him and Megan. He then broke up with her.
- Juliette was angered when Avery misses her set as he was busy helping Scarlett and took it out on her. While they attended the after show party, she became suspicious of Scarlett's behavior, saying it's similar to how her mother was.
- Jeff questioned Will about why he was marrying Layla and later asks Gunnar if Will is gay.
- Will and Layla decided to have a shotgun wedding and it went ahead without a hitch, in spite of Gunnar's refusal to be his best man.
- Luke discovered that Deacon is Maddie's biological father.
- Maddie's video went viral and stirred a media frenzy including being a "Hot Topic" on 'The View'. Luke thought a friend of Colt's may have put the video online.
- When the press showed up outside Deacon's house, Rayna got worried he had returned to his old ways as he wasn't returning her calls. She and Luke located him at the house that she and Deacon had bought before she discovered she was pregnant with Maddie.
- Deacon refused to have anything to do with Teddy since he slept with Megan, but Rayna tries to manage the fallout by going on 'Good Morning America' where Deacon admits that she and Teddy have done a good job raising Maddie.
- Gunnar was shocked when he received a large royalty check and wanted to treat Zoey, so he arranged a recording session. A gig promoter phoned but only wanted to see Gunnar if he got the band back together.
- When Juliette faced more empty seats on her tour, she reached out to Charlie Wentworth for a favor, but he saw it as a means of getting back with her, so Avery told him to back off.
- Scarlett's mother, Beverly, surprised her daughter in San Francisco. However, she soon showed her true colors, becoming abusive after Scarlett sings 'Black Roses' to her, and things took their toll when Scarlett had a meltdown on stage.
- Scarlett was sent to a clinic to help get everything out of her system. Rayna blamed Juliette for making her go out on stage in that condition.
- At Will's rehearsal Layla shows up with a reality TV producer saying that they should do a reality TV together.
- Gunnar met with Jeff who was starting a publishing division at the label and offered him to come to the company. Jeff told him that he'd have access to even more royalties and not to blow more opportunities with A-list talent like Kelly Clarkson. However, when Jeff called Scarlett crazy, Gunnar defended her and walked off.
- Scarlett came to the decision that she didn't want this and Rayna said that she will release her from her contract.
- At the BMI party Gunnar caught Jeff and Juliette emerging from their hookup.
- While Rayna was in a meeting with broadcasters Bucky informed her that Luke, who was in Afghanistan, was injured when the convoy he was in was hit by an IED. Rayna flew to New York so she could be there for him.
- Luke beat himself up that he wasn't able to to give the troops a show because of the accident so Rayna suggested that they should do a show live from Fort Campbell and simulcast it to all of the troops.
- Juliette felt guilty for sleeping with Jeff.
- Production started on Will and Layla's reality show which Gunnar refused to be apart of.
- Avery apologized to Juliette for being focused on Scarlett's recovery and reassured her that she is the one who he loves.
- When Luke heard that Juliette would be performing at the show he was not happy. Juliette heard him say this to Rayna and said that she will not sing though it won't stop her from meeting the troops. Luke overhears her saying to a soldier that she is there because her father was a Blackhawk pilot who died when she was four and asked her to sing. The two end up singing together.
- The show started with First Lady Michelle Obama thanking the troops via satellite and Kellie Pickler also performed.
- Deacon asked Teddy to tell him what Maddie's birth was like and Rayna and Deacon join Maddie and Daphne onstage to perform.
- Before Rayna heads out to New York to do her album promo on GMA Bucky informed that she has been bumped for Will who would also be releasing an album the same day as her thanks to Jeff.
- Desperately needing her album and label to be successful, Teddy was able to book 'LP Field' for her to do a show. Juliette came to Rayna asking out of her contract saying it was a mistake signing with her but Rayna tells her no and that she will be performing at the show at LP too.
- Deacon put on a show for the Sober House and ejected Juliette for turning up drunk.
- Maddie wanted her mom to sign her, but Rayna refused.
- Afraid that Jeff would be the one telling Avery that he and Juliette slept together, Zoey and Gunnar come clean after Avery senses something going on with them.
- Avery went to break up with Juliette but she pleaded him to not to.
- When Rayna and Luke finish singing "Ball and Chain" at the EP event,
- he asks her to marry him, and she accepts, much to the shock of her daughters, Deacon and Teddy.
- Scarlett said goodbye to Gunnar before leaving town but he tells her not to.
- Will came home and ripped all the cameras off the wall so he could tell Layla that he is gay, unaware a hidden camera in the clock had captured the confession.
- Deacon went to see Rayna and told her not to marry Luke because he knows how to love her now, giving her back her engagement ring.
|Episode||Directed by||Written by|
|I Fall to Pieces||Michael Waxman||Dee Johnson|
|Never No More||Callie Khouri||Callie Khouri, Meredith Lavender & Marcie Ullin|
|I Don't Wanna Talk About It||Paul McCrane||Tyler Bensinger|
|You're No Angel Yourself||Julie Hébert||Wendy Calhoun|
|Don't Open That Door||Michael Grossman||Dana Greenblatt|
|It Must Be You||Monica Macer||Kate Woods|
|She's Got You||Mario Van Peebles||Debra Fordham|
|Hanky Panky Woman||Eric Stoltz||David Gould|
|I'm Tired of Pretending||Kevin Dowling||David Handelman|
|Tomorrow Never Comes||Patrick Norris||Meredith Lavender & Marcie Ullin|
|I'll Keep Climbing||Callie Khouri||Tyler Bensinger|
|Just for What I Am||Stephen Cragg||Ben St John & Mollie Bickley St John|
|It's All Wrong, But It's All Right||Bethany Rooney||Debra Fordham|
|Too Far Gone||Patrick Norris||Monica Macer|
|They Don't Make 'Em Like My Daddy Anymore||Patrick Norris||Monica Macer|
|Guilty Street||David Grossman||Sibyl Gardner|
|We've Got Things to Do||Ron Underwood||Dana Greenblatt|
|Your Wild Life's Gonna Get You Down||Julie Hébert||David Gould|
|Crazy||Jean de Segonzac||Debra Fordham|
|Your Good Girl's Gonna Go Bad||Mario Van Peebles||Meredith Lavender & Marcie Ulin|
|All or Nothing with Me||Michael Waxman||Dee Johnson|
|On the Other Hand||Callie Khouri||Callie Khouri|
Albums released in or during the SeasonEdit
|See also: Season One • Season Two • Season Three • Season Four • Season Five|