- "You know, around here punk is code for “can’t play at all."
- — Deacon to Avery Barkley
- "I ain't dead. And I ain't done."
- — Deacon to Scarlett O'Connor
- "When did it turn into a Comedy Club?"
- —Deacon to Avery Barkley
Deacon Claybourne is a guitar player and has been head of Rayna Jaymes ' band for over 20 years. He has been a main character since the show premiered.
Deacon Claybourne is a loyal companion to Rayna Jaymes — both onstage and off. The talented musician became Rayna’s band leader, guitar player, songwriter, and romantic partner when the duo paired up 20 years ago. And while things didn’t exactly work out for the two stars in the romance department — Deacon’s inner turmoil runs deep — the pair has successfully carried on a loyal, professional partnership.
He had been sober for thirteen years until he found out that Maddie was his biological daughter. He then relapsed and began drinking for a short amount of time, before getting sober again. Now he is married to Rayna Jaymes .
Deacon Claybourne has been Rayna's lead guitar player for over 20 years. Their history is both long and complicated, sharing a past romance together and a present friendship. After their performance at the Grand Ole Opry, he introduces his niece, Scarlett O'Connor to Rayna.
Juliette Barnes, a young top country singer attempts to steal him from Rayna for her tour, offering him a lead position in her band and double the money Rayna pays him. Juliette is willing to do everything to get Deacon as her band leader. Deacon tells Rayna. Rayna tells him to do whatever will make him happy, she doesn't want to hold him back.
He and Rayna dated when they were younger and he is the biological father of her daughter Maddie. The relationship between Rayna and Deacon has always been complicated. Because of his drinking, Rayna decided to marry Teddy Conrad. However, he and Rayna have always remained close and after the end of her marriage to Teddy and end of her relationships with Liam McGuinnis and Luke Wheeler, they officially became a couple.
When he was diagnosed with a tumor due to his excessive drinking, Rayna and her daughters stayed by his side and he proposed to Rayna, which she eventually accepted. They married during Season Four .
• Season One
• Season Two
Solos (In a Duet):Edit
- This Town (with Scarlett) (Don't Open That Door)
- A Life That's Good (with Maddie Conrad) (I'm Tired of Pretending)
- This Time (with Rayna) (Just for What I Am)
- It's On Tonight (with Will and Luke) (Your Wild Life's Gonna Get You Down)
To view the Deacon Claybourne gallery, click here.
- "You never wanna stay too long at a pity party, you know." (to Juliette)
- "I think we hit all of the important spots." (to Stacey)
- "Nope." (to everyone)